[ODE] ODE with non-penetration constraint

Patrick Enoch Hendrix_ at gmx.net
Thu Jul 12 23:53:02 MST 2007

Hi Ruby,

the collider will return contact as soon as two objects overlap. So
in order to keep (most of) the ball over the ground, it has to
penetrate it.

Assume no other forces act on the objects (e.g. no gravity):

t=0: objects are apart. call collider -> no contacts
t=1: objects overlap. call collider -> get contacts -> generate
constraint that will drive objects apart within 1 timestep (hard
contact)
t=2: objects are apart again. Note: they still have their "escape
velocities"!

) Make sure to set the "surface layer" to zero.
) A possible solution would be to enlarge the object, so the
colliding proxy is larger than the object you render.
) Maybe it is possible to use implicit contacts (havent tried):
0) save state
1) step
2) collide (future contacts)
3) restore state, use "future contacts"
4) step

If you have other forces acting on the objects, the "hard contact"
property might get lost.

Patrick