[ODE] ODE with non-penetration constraint

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jul 12 09:31:14 MST 2007

Hard contacts probably mean something else than what you belive it to
mean. I don't quite understand what it means, myself -- it adds a
constraint to move the object out of the collision, but it's not an
inviolable constraint. Gravity will pull the object into collision again
before the next time you collide, in effect making the contact work as a
spring (which, in turn, is one reason why a variable time step is a bad
idea).

ODE is a penetration based solver; you should expect objects to always
penetrate their resting surface a little bit, else there would be no
contact, and no "resting."

Cheers,

          / h+