[ODE] cylinder plane bug

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 21 16:13:54 MST 2006

Jon Watte (ODE) wrote:

> ODE is, generally, a velocity space solver, not a position space
> solver, so "finding a position" where the objects are not intersecting
> anything else isn't a natural thing to express in the solver. One
> reason for this is that there may actually be no such position, in the
> case of objects penetrating more than one other object.

Yes, but the question is whether to cancel out the added solver momentum
after each frame or let it build up.  In theory this should be much
better - bodies push apart, but only as far as they are
interpenetrating.  That is assuming that we can clearly differentiate
between the proper (existing + bounce) and unwanted (collision-force) parts.

I was a bit worried about the caveats mentioned in the original post
though, like needing a higher disable threshold - if it worked as it
should, it would need a lower one!

Geoff