[ODE] FW: Quick dQuaternion question

Auro auro.ghosh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:06:25 MST 2006

Hmm.... this is new for me.

Matrices don't have handedness I quite understand, but quaternions? Without
handedness how would you multiply two quaternions (or convert from quats to
matrices)? Let me state my point - pls correct me if I'm wrong:

q1= A + iB + jC + kD
q2= E + iF + jG + kH

If you want to compute q3 = q1*q2, you'd have to decide on the following
rules:
i*j=?; j*i=?
j*k=?;  k*j=?
k*i=?; i*k=?
(and you'd of course have  i*i=j*j=k*k=-1)

In a right-handed system the rules would be:
i*j=k; j*i= -k
j*k=i;  k*j= -i
k*i=j; i*k= -j
and therefore:
q3 = (AE - BF - CG - DH) + i(AF + BE + CH - DG) + j(AG - BH + CE + DF) +
k(AH + BG - CF + DE)

And in a left-handed system the rules would be:
i*j= -k; j*i=k
j*k= -i;  k*j=i
k*i= -j; i*k=j
and therefore:
q3 = (AE - BF - CG - DH) + i(AF + BE - CH + DG) + j(AG + BH + CE - DF) +
k(AH - BG + CF + DE)

Similar differences can be found when you write the equations for converting
quats to matrices, and that would be important while setting the
transformation matrices in opengl or directx.

And looking at the ODE code (dQMultiply0, dRtoQ, dQtoR), it'd seem to me
that ODE is consitently right-handed. therefore while working with opengl
things would work just fine.

Perhaps I'm not seeing the obvious since you state it so strongly that ODE
is handedness free - cud you please clarify.

Thanks and Cheers,
 -Auro