[ODE] FW: Quick dQuaternion question

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Jun 13 10:15:42 MST 2006

X rotated around Y always yield -Z, both in left-handed interpretation
and right-handed interpretation. (this is why rotations use the left
hand rule in left-handed systems, and the right hand rule in
right-handed systems) You have your interpretations and your coordinate
systems mixed up in your question.

Note that "A physically clockwise rotation around Y" is expressed as
negative angles in right-handed systems, but as positive angles in a
left-handed system. The crucial realization is that "clockwise" or
"physical" is an interpretation domain constraint, not math.

Think of it this way: if you convert the quaternions to matrices,
multiply the matrices, and then convert back to quaternion, that's what
you get when you multiply quaternions directly. Thus, because matrix
multiplication is handedness neutral, and quaternion/matrix conversion
is handedness neutral, then quaternion multiplication must be handedness
neutral.

As the FAQ says: feed ODE left-handed data; then the data you pull out
is left-handed.

Cheers,

			/ h+