[ODE] Building terrain from .flt files

Thompson, Randy AMRDEC/SAIC randy.thompson5 at us.army.mil
Mon Nov 21 14:05:23 MST 2005

I have some experience building visual simulations of ground vehicles
using Vega-Prime and Vortex.  I am exploring the possibility of
switching to using OSG with ODE instead.  I am just beginning to look
into all of the issues but one thing that I am concerned about is the
terrain.  I need to be able to use terrains generated in Open Flight
format (.flt).  I assume I will need to have a way to create a trimesh
using the Open Flight terrain.  Has anyone done this before?  Will I
need to write a .flt reader to extract the vertex info that I need?  Is
there a plug-in already written for this somewhere?

Please feel free to point me to any other resources that will help me
evaluate ODE's suitability for my simulations.

Thanks,

Randy