[ODE] Newbie Compiler Help

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Tue Jun 28 16:52:12 MST 2005

Hi Mark,
I am sending this to the list in order to get it archived in case
someone else asks the same question again.

The instructions for compilation are on the INSTALL file on the source
distribution, basically skip step 0 and start at step 1.

MSYS and MinGW can be downloaded from sourceforge here:

You will need the MSYS and make installer and at least the gcc-core,
gcc-c++,binutils, and winapi (and maybe the runtime, but I am not 100%
sure) packages in order to get something going, extract the packages
into c:\mingw and then run the MSYS and make installers, in that order.

extract the ODE source somewhere, for simplicity lets say c:\ode, run
MSYS, a creamy colored command line terminal will pop up, this is MSYS,
from there go to the ode directory, in MSYS, to move across directories
you must use / instead of \, also your drives are at /c instead of c:\,
so do:

cd /c/ode

from there, you can pretty much just follow the instructions on INSTALL,
that is edit config/user-settings, and type make, once the process is
finished look for the libode.a file and move it to your DevC++ lib
directory and move the include/ode directory to the DevC++ include
directory as well.

Hope that helps