[ODE] Better way to find 'Desired Velocity'

Andrew Schroeder schroe2a at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:47:19 MST 2005

 Before you mentioned it, i'd never heard of a PID controller at all.
I've spent the past couple hours reading up.
 Maybe some of you who understand both ODE and PID controllers could
help me relate what I've learned about PID's to how they could be
useful in ODE Joint control...
 I think the controller in the servo approach in the ODE Wiki FAC:

DesiredVelocity = -Error * Gain

is like a PID controller where only the 'I' part is set to Gain, and
the 'P' and 'D' params are 0.  This makes sense because the above
equation is what they give for a 'I' only controller, and the behavior
typical of a PI controller what we see from the above servo model.
 The problem with a PI controller is most evident when the 'deadtime'
is high.  For us this means that the max-force is low and it takes
awhile to get up to speed. (or to stop) To deal with this a PID
controller would set a 'D' or Derivative control element which removes
the oscillation caused by delayed application of your output.  To add
another term to the servo approach:

DesiredVelocity = -Error * iGain + dGain * (Error-ErrLast*2+ErrLastLast)

or something like that.  Here the new dGain value would be the 'D'
part of a PID and would serve to slow down the body sooner by keeping
track of how much the error is changing.
 Does this make sense, and is it consistent with the your
understanding of a PID controller?  Anyone have a better guess at the
correct way to do the above equation?

Further clouding the issue for me is the fact that our Process
Variable is Position of the body, but we only actually effect the
Velocity, (and even that indirectly by setting a desired velocity and
letting the joint motor bring it to speed.)

Finally, if I am on the right track with adding the dGain term to the
DesiredVelocity equation, wouldn't a good value for dGain be related
to the maxForce of the joint?

Thanks,
Andy