[ODE] Bounciness on Trimesh terrain

Shamyl Zakariya shamyl at zakariya.net
Mon Jan 17 16:45:17 MST 2005

> Are you adding any dampening to your bodies? A rotational torque and a
> linear velocity that's something like -0.01 or -0.02 the magnitude of
> your actual velocity will help a lot.

No, but that sounds like a good idea -- I've already got mechanisms in
place to do this ( to simulate aerodynamic drag... )

> Also, what is the ERP and CFM of the suspension joint? You shouldn't
> have to tweak the contacts, but the suspension is very sensitive. Try
> making it stiffer -- it may be that you currently have found a
> resonance point for your suspension spring.

Also sounds like a good idea. More tweak-run-tweak cycles ahead, I
assume ;)

> Last -- are you running those 80 Hz at a FIXED time step? If you're
> using a variable time step, it will not ever be stable. You have to
> make sure you always step physics the same amount of time each time
> (that would be 0.0125 seconds for 80 Hz).

Yeah -- I learned a while back that only fixed timesteps work. I've got
the physics running in a separate thread.

Thanks!

Shamyl Zakariya
   "this is, after all, one of those movies where people spend a great
   deal of time looking at things and pointing."
	From a review of _Fantastic Voyage_