[ODE] mutable bodies

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 10 10:51:23 MST 2005

Hi,
Instead of creating a new body type, you can in fact use the settings of
the generated contact instead.  You'll need to add a bit of extra code
for the "motionN" part of the contact joint (see a previous post on this).

Using motion1 and motion2, you can specify the velocity of the "world"
at the given point along fdir1 and fdir2.  Using the motionN addition to
the contact joint, you can then specify the motion along the normal of
the contact.

Therefore, given any mutable body with a linear and angular velocity,
you can calculate the velocity of the contact point and put these 3
values in.  Note that the contact doesn't actually need any angular
velocity information - all the angular velocity does is add to the
contact point's linear velocity, depending on the distance the point is
from the "centre of mass" of the mutable body.

I've implemented this for both a lift and a pendulum just a week or so
ago, and it works perfectly.

Geoff