[ODE] Following camera

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:23:20 MST 2005

Rather than using that "end of the ray behind the player" point as a
hard position constraint for the camera, try thinking of it as a goal
of movement.  Implement the camera as a collidable body unaffected by
gravity - but with extreme movement dampening to avoid nasty "man hits
camera with bat and WHEEEEE off it goes" cases.

Now drive the camera towards your goal position and orientation with a
rudimentary AI, that observes certain max linear and rotational
speeds.

If your camera can't find the goal position in under X time units,
warp it into position - if your camera is too far away, warp it into
position, or at least speed it up temporarily.  Etc.

-Megan Fox