[ODE] LMotor

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Thu Dec 29 06:01:12 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

I recently needed to model a trolley moving along a slider.

ASCII art picture:
  +========+
  |---O----|  (The 'O' is the trolley)
  |        |  (The '---' is the axis of the slider joint)
  |        |
==+========+==

I had no problem setting up the joints. But I also wanted to provide a servo
motor that could move the trolley to a specified position using a certain
force and maximum velocity. Basicely, I needed an AMotor. But one that works
for translation and not for rotation.

To my suprise this LMotor already exists. It was made by Jan Kratochvil and
send to this list on 2004-11-28. I tested his patch with the latest CVS
checkout (UNSTABLE) and it works perfectly. At the time of Jan's mail people
where exited about this motor but somehow the patch got lost and was never
added to CVS. So I would like to kindly request this patch be added to the
unstable version. That way it can also receive some more testing.

I attached the original lmotor patch as well as a test for the lmotor to this
mail. Both where created by Jan Kratochvil. You can just unzip the test in
the ode/test directory and add it to the test objects in the makefile.

I hope this is usefull for someone :-)
Roel