[ODE] Contact sound generation

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Nov 5 09:18:33 MST 2004

> > You are entering the exciting world..

> Thanks for the quick synopsis Jon, what a cool area it looks to be.

And, because I hadn't been paying attention for two years, exactly
how active it is amazes me. The paper posted by Tyler is pretty neat
for percussive sounds (forming sound out of impulses plus resonant
modes) -- I tracked down the accompanying video:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/b-cam/Papers/obrien-2002-SSR/Stuff/all_divx_640x480.avi

In one view of the world, anything percussive is just impulse +
resonance, and this seems to take care of the resonance part just
fine. At the mere cost of 800 complex multiply-adds per object
per sample frame, I can think of some fill-limited games that could
quite likely benefit from this!

Now, as for modeling a struck spring that flexes depending on how
hard you bend it... or a dead body scraping across gravel... ;-)

Cheers,

			/ h+