[ODE] Step Sizes

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Nov 3 10:13:23 MST 2004

It's likely that something's wrong in your program, or that
you're using some specific piece of code that's not well supported.
The only obvious one I can think of is the cylinder geom, although
trimesh to trimesh collisions aren't great, either (especially not
for concave trimeshes). Trimesh to anything else, and anything
else to anything else, has always worked well for me.

FWIW, I use 1/100 second step size, and it's very stable. There's
no popping, disapparance, or anything like that that I haven't
traced to issues with my own code. I use dWorldQuickStep().

Reduce your code to just a few items that reproduce the problem
you're seeing, and trace through it in the debugger, looking at
all the values involved. It helps greatly if you build ODE from
source for this, of course.

Yes, this probably means spending 20 minutes in the debugger on
a single world step of your test case. That's the fate of a
simulation developer. Just be glad you don't have to do it in a
distributed system :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+