[ODE] Step Sizes

Donny Viszneki smirk at thebuicksix.com
Wed Nov 3 12:54:21 MST 2004

Perhaps this is my own fault, but I didn't see anywhere a good step
size for dWorldStep. I'm using ODE in a fixed-frame game, running at 30
FPS, so originally I set the step size for 1/30. I recently tried
adjusting this to see if it would make my simulation more stable (you
know, the vanishing, jittering, and occasional popping that occurs.) I
adjusted it from 1/30 to 1/300. The simulation actually got MUCH WORSE
with more popping and vanishing.

What the hell? I'd have thought if ANY change were made by giving ODE
more granularity, it would be that the simulation would become MORE
ACCURATE.

WHAT IS GOING ON?