[ODE] QuickStep tests and units....

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Fri May 21 09:13:46 MST 2004

If we are not mistaken, the boxes in testcrash are 1x1x1m (what would make
1m^3 volume) and weight only 1kg. What makes them a little lighter than thin
air (air has characteristic density of about 1.16kg/m^3 at room
temperature). I know that, theoretically, if you scale all masses with same
factor, simulation should appear same, but sometimes it is better to have
realistic values, just to be on the safe side, and to make sure you are
testing something that makes sense. I'd recommend to use some density value
like 800kg/m^3 (wood), it might help solver stability, as increased inertia
tensors will prevent numerical errors from spinning the boxes.

Btw, in our tests we run with gravity of 30m/s^2, as it is more appealing
for FPS games; 9.81 is just too low.

Just my 2e-2$,
Alen