[ODE] Force calculations

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Sun May 16 21:48:34 MST 2004

Hello,
I'm modelling a system that is made up of a number (28) of rods
connected together end-to-end.  The first and last rod are each hinged
to a fixed axle lying on the z axis, separated by about 20 rod lengths.
The other rods are hinged to each other (horizontal axes), except that
the connections to the last rod at each end are ball-and-socket joints.
The whole assemblage is therefore free to rotate about the z axis, and
will assume a roughly paraboloid shape as it rotates.  Think of a
rotating chain.

At each timestep the external forces applied to the rods are in the xy
plane, i.e. there is a radial component and a tangential component.
These forces, which tend to make the chain of linked rods rotate, is
resisted by a torque applied to the top rod (one of those connected to
the axle).  The constant torque can be applied either as a force applied
to the c.g. of the rod in the tangential direction, or directly as a
torque (it doesn't make any difference which way I do it).  When the
steady resisting torque matches the external forces, a steady state is
achieved with a constant rotational speed.

The problem is that the value of resisting torque that is needed to
reach steady state is not equal to the sum of the applied moments.  The
difference between these two values can be quite large, e.g. > 10%.  By
"sum of the applied moments" I mean I compute the total of the moments
contributions over one rotation and divide by the number of timesteps to
obtain the average total moment of the external forces.  The rods are 5m
long.  I'm using a time step of 0.01 sec, and all other solver
parameters have their default values.  I'm not sure where the error
arises, and whether or not I should expect ODE to model this system
accurately.  Any suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Gib