[ODE] <Survey>: ODE - Present and Direction.

Mike Reinstein web_fella at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 15:29:14 MST 2004

Here is my analysis of what is wrong with the survey as I see it:

Question 1: The middle ranges are too qualitative; While "perfect" and
useless are clear indicators of how someone feels about ode, the middle
ranges are ambiguous and meaningless.. for example,  how do you quantify the
difference between "needs some work" and "needs plentyof work"?
suggestions for improvement:
Add a short answer section that allows people to comment on why and how ode
is good/bad. While this does not allow you to tally results in a nice
looking progress bar % meter, it lets people generate meaningful, tangible
feedback that can be quantified. (eg  "Needs Some work, capped cylinder
supoort is blah blah blah [insert comment here]")

Question 2:  This is probably ok, but I might add a section allowing people
to specify which specific platform they are using for the last option.

Question 3: The wording here is misleading..."Where does ODE failthe most?"
implies that a single answer response is expected. Limit this to allowing
only 1 entry to be chosen.
As with question 1, allowing people to provide information describing WHY
that particular item fails the most is important because it allows people to
quantify and explain their choice.

Question 4: This question should be eliminated, it is redundant w.r.t.
questions 5-7

Question 5: Change the wording to "which future development is top priority
for you?"

Questions 6,7: See q5

Question 8: Split this up into 2 questions; q8 contains list of existing
primitives that are important, q9 includes list of future primitives that
are important (be sure to provide a brief explanation of future primitives
so more people will know what they are selecting)

Question 9:(will be question 10) this is fine, although I dont see this
providing much insight into anything...

This may seem like nitpicking, but I assure you it's not. Carefully
developing a survey is critical because otherwise you accumulate feedback on
an issue, attempt to satisfy the needs derived from the survey results, and
that in turn inevitably leads to converging on the wrong solution(s).

If the survey system you are using does not allow for these types of survey
collection controls,I would argue that we should go with a another survey
system that does allow information to be collected in this fashion. (There
are dozens of free systems to choose from, or we could write one...we are
talking about to mysql tables and a handfullof php scripts)

Mike

&gt;From: &quot;gl&quot; &lt;gl at ntlworld.com&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;ode at q12.org&gt;
&gt;Subject: Re: [ODE] &lt;Survey&gt;: ODE - Present and Direction.
&gt;Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:15:13 +0100
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &gt; limited their answer set.  I think redesigning the poll would
yield
&gt; &gt; drastically different results. As it stands right now, we've not
learned
&gt; &gt; much from it (we already knew before the poll that everybody wants
&gt; &gt; everything :P)
&gt;
&gt;I disagree, there's a lot of useful info in there.  For example, what
people
&gt;generally think of ODE, that the biggest perceived failings are
currently
&gt;solver speed and collision accuracy (makes sense), the fact that most of
the
&gt;collision primitives are useful to a lot people...
&gt;
&gt;With regards to having too many options to check, the survey doesn't
allow
&gt;things like assigning priorities to answers - it's either 1 of 10, or
any of
&gt;10 - so I had to break the 'top 3 priorites' question into 3 steps of
single
&gt;answers.  It's not ideal, but if you look at those, again you see what
&gt;people most care about.
&gt;
&gt;Which questions did you find redundant?
&gt;--
&gt;gl
&gt;
&gt;----- Original Message -----
&gt;From: &quot;Mike Reinstein&quot; &lt;web_fella at hotmail.com&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;ode at q12.org&gt;
&gt;Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:58 PM
&gt;Subject: Re: [ODE] &lt;Survey&gt;: ODE - Present and Direction.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; Not to get too caught up in details, but it strikes me that the
even
&gt;spread
&gt; &gt; might be the result of the poll being thrown together very
quickly...A lot
&gt; &gt; of the questions are doubly redundant, plus giving people the
option to
&gt; &gt; check all boxes they want causes people to respond differently
than if you
&gt; &gt; limited their answer set.  I think redesigning the poll would
yield
&gt; &gt; drastically different results. As it stands right now, we've not
learned
&gt; &gt; much from it (we already knew before the poll that everybody wants
&gt; &gt; everything :P)
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; just my 2.5 cents
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; --neko
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;From: James Arthur &amp;lt;teamonkey at gmail.com&amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;To: ode at q12.org
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;Subject: Re: [ODE] &amp;lt;Survey&amp;gt;: ODE - Present
and Direction.
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:13:34 +0100
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;On Tue, 11 May 2004 10:55:40 -0700, Russ Smith
&amp;lt;russ at q12.org&amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; wrote:
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; i'm paying close attention to this survey. the
results so far
&gt;seem
&gt; &gt; to
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; indicate that, on average, people want
everything! which i guess
&gt; &gt; is no
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; particular surprise...
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;It's quite unusual to have *such* an even spread across
the board
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;though. You obviously can't please everyone.
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;One choice that I didn't see was the sanction of a
GLUT-like ODE
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;Utility Library that could encapsulate the non-core
functions of ODE
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;(such as cloth, fluids and more evolved collision
structures).
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;James
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;_______________________________________________
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;ODE mailing list
&gt; &gt; &amp;gt;ODE at q12.org
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; _________________________________________________________________
&gt; &gt; FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now!
&gt; &gt; http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt; ODE mailing list
&gt; &gt; ODE at q12.org