[ODE] On torque ..

Wenzel Jakob wenzel at schlund.de
Fri May 7 21:07:10 MST 2004

Hi,

I am implementing a program with several "agents" using simple steering
algorithms (seek, follow, flee) in 3d space using ODE for
physics and collision detection. Everything has worked
quite well so far, but now I am stuck with a problem:

Every body/agent in the simulation has a local coordinate system
(a forward, up and side vector).

I am trying to write a function which takes
- a body/agent
- a new "forward" vector
- a time value

This function should return the torque which needs to be applied
to the body in order to rotate the coordinate system onto the new
forward vector in the given amount of time.

I have spent quite some time messing around with quaternions, but
haven't come up with something working yet.

Does anybody have some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Wenzel Jakob