[ODE] Another Cocoa port for Mac OS X

Shamyl Zakariya zakariya at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 12:51:29 MST 2004

I built ode.framework back for the 0.39 release, when ODE still had
some troubles compiling on Mac OS X. However, ODE seems nowadays to
build cleanly from nightly source tarballs just fine. It became a bit
of a headache to maintain the project when the command-line build
worked just fine, so I've let it go.

Also, the only real thing my CocoaODE provided was a re-implementation
of drawstuff using GLUT; but since you're planning on doing games I
imagine you've got better a OpenGL platform anyway.

For what it's worth, in my experience ODE has one significant problem
as regards Cocoa but since I'm not a Carbon developer I can't say if it
would be a problem for you. ODE makes use, in its headers, of many
function parameter names called "id" which simply doesn't play well
with Objective-C or Objective-C++ where that's a reserved keyword.
Accordingly, I've had to go through some hoops to hide ODE from my GUI
code without hiding too much of my object model.

I'd be happy to help you out, if you have any trouble.

In my case, I'm now linking against a static binary and while that's
nowhere near as slick as Mac OS X's self-contained frameworks, it does
work fine. Were I more comfortable with apple's dev tools on the
command line, I would consider making changes to the build scripts to
build a framework target instead of a static lib. Sounds like a worthy
goal to look into.

> I'm in the process of founding a mac game studio

Excellent! We mac users are generally left out in the cold :(

shamyl zakariya :: lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,