[ODE] Tokamak and Netwon Game Dynamics

luca regini l.regini at diesgroup.com
Mon May 3 15:33:56 MST 2004

Lately i have seen that two new products are joining the market in physic
engines: tokamak and "newton game dynamics".
I have seen that both of them claim to be better than ode in some way or
other, so i am posting here some questions.

Newton claims that:
"Our engine implements a deterministic solver, which is not based on
traditional LCP or iterative methods, but possesses the stability and speed
of both respectively"

while Tokamak claims:
"TOKAMAK definitely has much faster joint solving + c++ interface + solved
problem with primitive vs.. triangle collision + solid objects + breaking of
objects + object sleeping "

To my knowledge ODE architecture follows the current state of the art in
analytical physic engines.

I wonder how could it be that tokamak has a faster joint solving engine (
besides hardcore optimization), shouldn't it be an LCP solver anyway?

And regarding Newton, LCP iterative solvers are of linear complexity and so
they are damn quick. I haven't heard of any deterministic solver that  can
rivals LCP iterative methods.

Anyone has some clues?

Greets,
Luca