[ODE] Ragdoll performance with OpenDE

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Tue Jan 13 15:00:45 MST 2004

Mohsin Hasan wrote:
> One more question. My simulations don't seem to be as stable as I want. I
> mean when I created the box stacking demo, the boxes continually moved a
> bit. It seemed like they were always shaking a bit. Why is that? Any ideas?
> Most of the time the stack of boxes fell because of this shaking. Sometimes
> the boxes just started sliding on the floor. I fixed this by reducing the
> time step but this still happens if I leave the simulation running for a
> long time.

That's a pretty fundamental problem in the StepFast approach.   (As an
aside, I'm pretty sure it could be solved in ODE by resolving multiple
contact constraints between the same two bodies simultaneously StepSlow-
style rather than individually -- you would lose the use of the
[non-existant] 6x6 matrix quick-solve path in these cases, but the
upper bound on the matrix complexity is still known and pretty
sensible.)

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam at gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"At this point the rocket becomes engorged with astronauts."