[ODE] does ODE need convex polyhedra collision?

nearaz nearaz at interamotion.com
Mon Oct 13 20:36:12 MST 2003

> In general, every contact consists of SEVERAL contact points.
> The algorithms you commented they only return ONE contact point,
> which is not enough.

I think (only guessing now - I haven't even started implementing anything)
the final contact(s) can be found from the final simplex pair in GJK case. As
I understood, GJK in it's "plain form" doesn't even return closest points,
only separation distance.

> Do you have more information on how to compute the entire set
> Of contact points from the information returned by these algorithms
> (v-clip, solid, gjk) ?

None yet :(

BTW, Solid seems to use enhanced GJK (in one way). I've also stumbled upon "A
new algorithm for computing minimum distance" by Sundaraj, d'Aulignac and
Mazer - it seems to be a blend of Lin-Canny and GJK.

Anyway, I think I'll just try to implement "something" and see if any results
are possible. I have to implement something for my university course! :)

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/