[ODE] does ODE need convex polyhedra collision?

Sergio Valverde svalverde at barcelona.ubisoft.es
Mon Oct 13 17:37:15 MST 2003

Very interesting stuff, indeed.

Anyway, the problem is not in the penetration depth computation.

If you plan to integrate those closest-features collision
detectors you should be able to devise a way to compute not only the
SINGLE pair of closest points but the full set of contact points
required by ODE in order to avoid interpenetration
(think of face-face, edge-face, and the like).
In general, every contact consists of SEVERAL contact points.
The algorithms you commented they only return ONE contact point, which
is not enough.

Sadly, I read in some Mirtich paper (MERL-TR-98-01)  that extending v-clip
to compute the contact point set required the use of backtracking.
Moreover, there is a considerable lack of information about this on the
Net.

Do you have more information on how to compute the entire set
Of contact points from the information returned by these algorithms
(v-clip, solid, gjk) ?

Regards,
Sergi Valverde