[ODE] Simulating a semi truck.......

Ed Jones ed.jones at oracle.com
Wed Nov 12 11:20:31 MST 2003

Howdy,

Here's what I did;

Take the ubiquitous buggy example.
Give it an extra steering wheel at the front, very few semi-trucks are
tricycles!
Create another buggy without any front wheels.
Attach the second buggy to the first, probably with a ball-joint.
Make sure any 'power' just goes to the back wheels of the first buggy.

Hey-presto!

Spookily enough, there's kind of an example of this here;

    http://ed-jones.members.beeb.net/index.html?p=truckoff.html

The cyan buggy is the 'tractor' and the magenta one's the 'trailer',
they are connected together, but you can't really see that in the
screenshot.
The yellow block is a ramp to drive over for added 'excitement'.
I've got a better example of this somewhere with a proper textured 3d
truck and trailer, as well as decent collision proxies and extra wheels,
so it's a proper 18-wheeler.
I'll try and dig it out if you like?

Hope that's useful.
Cheers,