[ODE] no help :(

david@csworkbench.com david at csworkbench.com
Mon Mar 24 07:06:01 2003

It's a known problem that bodies rotating in space without gravity or
anything to slow them down will gain energy until they explode, but that
doesn't sound like what you're simulating (lying on the ground)....  I'm
not sure I understand why your simulation is moving at all if you just
have two bodies connected by a hinge with angle limits set to 0.  However,
if you are applying power against those limits, then there's your problem.
 ODE adds the maximum joint force to keep a powered joint from getting
past it's limit... which could be where your extra energy is coming from.
If you aren't powering through that limit, then I'm not sure I understand
what your simulation is doing.  Perhaps a video (if you're using drawstuff
it can output the frames in ppm format, you can convert with ffmpeg on
Linux, not sure on other platforms) would help to illustrate it better.

David