[ODE] idea for new collision primitive

Fig TaTam fig_tatam at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 12:48:01 2003

I have an idea for new collision primitive: 2D AABB, or "axis aligned
square".
Imagine a large 3D level design, with many rooms and various structures, all
made out of simple blocks, sort of like Lego's. It's an easy way of having
complex levels with relatively low polygon count. In such a level, many
surfaces will be axis aligned in some 2D plane, so a large portion of the
level could be approximated by "axis aligned squares". I know that the same
effect could be achieved with box primitives, but "axis aligned squares"
would be simpler and more efficient. Since level structures usually require
a large number of primitives to approximate them, even a small advantage in
efficiency of "axis aligned squares" over boxes would yield significant
performance improvement.

Also, it would be easy to implement an algorithm that can approximate a 3D
structure with "axis aligned squares" from a set of vertices and triangles.

What do you think people? is this a good idea?