[ODE] Bipeds and other characters

Ander Taylor ander_taylor at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 20:28:02 2003

Hi Josh,

Everytime I try to get to your site IE crashes. This happens on several
computers.

Cheers,

Ander

----Original Message Follows----
Balancing a biped is no easy task, and is the focus of a lot of academic
research. One of the more popular approaches is to use artificial
evolution to coordinate motor torques to maintain balance, and for
locomotion. If you're interested, there are a few papers on the subject at

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~quee0818/pub/publications.html

and some of my own work on the subject at

http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/ailab/people/bongard

...good luck!

Josh

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Frederic Ferland wrote:

 > Just to get my brain thinking until I attempt to do it myself, can anyone
 > give me an idea of how a biped (or other such character) can be made to
 > walk using ODE?  I have trouble imagining how I could make the character
 > stay on it's legs and not collapse to the ground due to gravity.  I'm
sure
 > that the solution is not simply to apply a force in the direction of the
 > sky on the body...  That would probably cause the character to go up and
 > down in a weird way.  Any thoughts on how this could be handled?
 >
 > Thanks!

Josh C. Bongard
Doctoral candidate, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Department of Information Technology, University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: +41 01 635 43 47
Fax:   +41 01 635 68 09
www.ifi.unizh.ch/ailab/people/bongard/