[ODE] trimesh and making your own mesh

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at interamotion.com
Fri Jul 18 06:43:01 2003

> any chance of adding a function into ODE to load a .x of .3ds file and
make
> it a geom thats treated just like the sphere or box?

IMHO, specific geometry format loading functions don't belong to ODE core
(though they might go to 'contrib' or somewhere)...

> that way if there was a chair for example we could create one mesh for the
> ODE geom and save that (maybe only about 100 verts and another for the gfx
> at about 3000 verts)
> rather than manually sticking some blocks together programmatically
> does that make any sense ?

Yes, that makes sense. That's how everybody is doing, at least :)

For anything more complex than a pair of boxes/spheres, people usually make
them in modelling software (3dsMax, Maya etc.), export that into convenient
formats and load that (the exception might be 64k intros, but that's
probably not related to ODE :))

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/