[ODE] the rotation matrix?

Anselm Hook anselm at hook.org
Tue Jan 7 12:53:01 2003

it is easy enough to find literature on the net about extracting euler
coordinates from a matrix; the first link i googled with "matrix euler" as
google params returned this:

http://www.martinb.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/matrixToEuler/index.htm

there are other examples that are more comprehensive.  also any good maths
library will provide operators for extracting rotation information.

google for matrix.h or matrix.java or matrix4d.java or matrix3d.java for
example and you'll undoubtably find many implementations.

its really worth it to refresh your memory on linear math - grab a first
year university linear maths book and work through the first few chapters.
i sometimes find i have to do this in fact myself after a year or two away
from the domain.  the reason is that you can develop insights such as say
a matrix can be trivially decomposed into heading direction vectors or
suchlike...  and these will help provide alternative solutions for you
rather than doing brute force extraction of euler coordinates.

 - a