[ODE] Rolling friction?

Erick Tryzelaar erickt at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 18 13:05:01 2002

Well, yes, if you have a perfect plane with no air resistance, there would
be no "rolling friction". But say your plane is carpet. Even with no air
resistance, the ball should still come to a stop, which is what Im trying
to simulate. According to this paper:

http://www.playpool.com/apapp/

In it, it says that the term "rolling friction" is the generalization of a
rolling object's kinetic energy being turned into heat and sound.
Personally, I only understand it at a conceptual level, and cant really
do the math until i go through the physics some more, but Im lazy, hence
the hack :)

-Erick