[ODE] Bullet and ODE - any update?

erwin@erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Wed Sep 26 08:02:00 MST 2007

Hi,

We need at least one developer (apart from me) from the ODE community, who
actively helps with this integration.

ODE is a very good collision detection and physics engine, so any
replacements should be at least as good or better then the original. The
challenge is that replacing OPCODE by Bullet collision detection would
provide an alternative that is better in some areas, but not as good in
others. We are working on this, and I think ODE could already benefit from
several individual parts of Bullet:

A - fast sweep and prune broadphase
B - robust and fast convex collision detection (convex mesh, cylinder etc)
C - fast compressed aabb tree, faster and more compact then OPCODE's tree
D - on the longer run, time of impact calculation, but this requires a very
big change in the dynamics part/world step

If anyone wants to help integrating one of above steps, just get in touch on
the Bullet forums at http://bulletphysics.com. I've ideas how to do this
properly, including using the ODE C-interfaces.

Hope this helps,
Erwin