[ODE] Impossible static linking of libode

Andreas Beckermann b_mann at gmx.de
Wed Oct 24 12:39:10 MST 2007

Well, when you switch from dynamic to static linking, you usually have to take
more care of library dependencies.
For example with dynamic linking -lOgreMain would work just fine, if you
wanted to link against OGRE.
However with static linking you also need to add e.g. libfreeimage, libGL,
libX11, ... (unless some other library that you link dynamically against
pulls them in).

And last but not least the order of libraries is very important,
e.g. -lode -logreode may work with dynamic libraries (because ogreode pulls
in ode itself), but it is doomed to fail for static linking, because ogreode
requires ode, but those symbols already have been resolved when ogreode is
added.
(Forgive me, if that was not technically correct, I am not a linking expert or
so. But the end result surely is correct)

That said, I have actually no idea what you are doing - if you
add "-L/usr/local/lib/libode.a" the effect should (imho) be either an error
or that this parameter is ignored, becase libode.a is not a directory (and -L
expects one). Also I you said you changed the -lode, but you use OgreOde...
did you change that one, too? Or did you mean that one?

I imagine that your g++ liner line should look something like this
  g++ <objects> -o target -lOgreOde_Core -Wl,-Bstatic -lode -Wl,-Bdynamic
-> this should like against OgreOde_Core dynamically, but statically against
ODE (assuming OgreOde _links_ against ODE, but does not provide a copy of ODE
itself).
(note the -Wl,-Bdynamic at the end of the line .. this is somwhat important!)

I would expect that that should work, however when it comes to static linking,
a bit of experimenting is usually required (well, for me anyway ;-))

CU
Andi