[ODE] Quadtree space and dSpaceCollide2

David Walters hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:23:53 MST 2007

> I don't know why my last post on this topic got no reply, perhaps
> because it was an answer to an ancient message. Anyway, here I go again:

This happens sometimes, there aren't that many active posters on the
list. Plus as ODE is pretty complex and not easy to test every aspect
of - it's often the case where working on a feature is not possible
due to a lack of appropriate test application to hand.

Personally I read you message, but I couldn't contribute or assist at
the time so I didn't reply.  I imagine that's the same reason everyone
else had for not responding.

> .... I don't have too much time (who has...),

This is why.  This is a (niche) open source software project and
although I try to help out with stuff that doesn't really benefit me
(like Remi's exotic selection of new joint types) if something is
going to take ages to even prepare for testing a fix then to be blunt,
I've got better things to do with my time.

In this case, it sounds like you've got a framework setup and ready to
go - so my advice would be to try to fix this yourself -- you're in a
much better position than we are to fix the problem.

p.s. sorry if I come across badly in this message (and doubly so
because I've completely skipped talking about your actual problem) -
your attempt to get a discussion going is admirable, it's just the
active contributors here regularly vary in number - especially as ODE
is stable and kind of does all the things everyone wants it to do.

I wish you luck and hope you can fix this ancient space collision bug.
(and write a cylinder / cylinder collider too ;-) )

Regards,
Dave