[ODE] Contact point merging strategy

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jun 14 14:21:49 MST 2007

Yes, it's that "simple".

You may actually want to ignore the similarity of normals, or allow for
a big slop, depending on your intended result; driving over a "flat"
trimesh with a ball can be pretty bouncy unless you filter pretty
aggressively based on contact proximity. You do want to average all the
normals you filter out per geometric point, though.

In my experience, the simulation will run faster, and will not lose
stability, unless you're too sloppy with the filtering (i e, merging two
contacts that are 2 meters away from each other or something).

Cheers,

          / h+