[ODE] Quickstep and patents

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jun 7 12:56:19 MST 2007

Ignacio García Fernández wrote:
> You have many examples of funny stuff, such as the XOR gate

It was actually the XOR cursor, and it was actually novel (not
published) back when it was filed, in the early '70s.

> The gif algorithm or mp3 are funny also. Mp3 is just an application of the
> fourier transform.

Please, can we stop discussing patents here? Or, if we're going to
discuss patents, can we at least do it from a position of first-hand
knowledge?

Saying "mp3 is just an application of the fourier transform" is like
saying "a car is just some shaped steel." The parts that are patent have
to do with psycho-acoustics, quantization and noise shaping, which were
all quite valid advances when the patents were filed. The reason we
think they're "obvious" now is that, because the company gets protection
from the patents, they can afford to publish and let their techniques be
known. If we didn't have patents, we'd have large bastions of corporate
secrets, and nobody would willingly publish any of their internal
knowledge. And a corporate secret can last for a hundred years (Coca
Cola receipe, anyone?) rather than a patent, which is 20 years from
application or 17 years from issue, depending on where/when.

Ignacio, to me you're just coming across as an uneducated fanboy
mis-quoting empty phrases without any personal knowledge on the subject
matter. I believe you'd actually want to be seen as something more than
that.

Cheers,

          / h+