[ODE] Rendering

Lode Vanacken lode.vanacken at uhasselt.be
Wed Feb 7 01:17:02 MST 2007

Daniel K. O. wrote:

>Szabo Gabor escreveu:
>

>>People use to talk about Irrlicht (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/)
>>;)
>>

>I've used Irrlicht in the past; there are at least 2 downsides:
>
>- The API is weird sometimes, obliging you to use euler angles instead
>of matrices and quaternions.
>- It's hard to spread the word to your friends when you pronounce it
>correctly. ("Ir-what?") :)
>
>But my last experience with it was almost a year ago, there's a chance
>they fixed the API problems.
>
>The good thing it's very easy to build, so you can (if you have the
>time) easily patch, extend, etc. Compare to the beast (pun intended)
>that is Ogre, which I was never able to build even the dependencies.
>(because every single version of them seem to be broken on anything
>that is not a MS compiler) :)

This last statement, is it more than a year old? As far as I am aware
there is support for more
compilers than the MS one. And the dependencies are pre-compiled and
downloadable for
windows. In a unix environment it should be no problem to install them
using any package manager...

Anyway the main message you send is correct, if you want to start
quickly use Irrlicht, if you want
a lot of possibilities and more complex features use Ogre. Not sure how
well documented Irrlicht is,
but Ogre has a lot of it, with also an extensive Wiki and very crowded
forum.

Lode