[ODE] contact points

Lewis Foster doof205 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 07:06:09 MST 2007

I agree the points need to be more accurate, and in some cases i've managed
to improve them, edges for example. The situation you described still needs
sorting out so that edges can be collision points as well as vertices (on
face-face contact) but i don't think that will be too difficult.

I'm testing at the minute with this situation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/doof205/collide.jpg

With the following contact details it really should work, but it fails and
they pass through each other:

plane:
0.60x
0.35y
-0.71z

g1 - lower box
g2 - upper box

According to the documentation if g1 (the lower box) was moved along the
axis (which points down and away from the upper box - correct) by the
distance (0.01 or something) then the objects should no longer be in
contact....sounds right to me, but it just falls through. Oddly enough if i
keep the situation the same, invert the normal and swop g1 and g2, it works
because it is able to move the upper box away from the lower box.

Its not an issue with where the points lie, or how many points there are.

In fact i've just changed it so that g1 is always the first convex passed to
the collider function and it still fails when the contact normal points
toward the box on the floor. I dont see how it can be an issue with the
callback function either, that just adds the contact joint to the two
objects and now the ordering g1 and g2 is the same every time i'm more
certain that there is no problem there.

I'm completely stumped on this, i really think its close and could test it
properly if the collision points would work with normals pointing in either
direction.

Oh well, i'll see if theres anything else i can try.

Thanks,

Lewis