[ODE] About world's axis

David Walters hidden.asbestos at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 01:56:49 MST 2007

> I have a question about the ODE World's axis.
> What is the vertical axis for ODE ?

ODE has no predefined 'vertical' axis - objects will feel the effects
of gravity in whatever direction you set the gravity vector to.

So if you use ( 0, -9.81, 0 ) then Y will be the vertical and if you
use ( 0, 0, -9.81 ) then Z will be vertical. The demo applications
that come with ODE use the Z axis for vertical - but this is
arbitrary, my engine uses the Y axis.

As long as you're consistent then it's doesn't matter - I suspect this
is where your problem lies: a mismatch between gravity and projection
when rendering?

Regards,
David Walters