[ODE] test_boxstack and geom offset

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Tue Sep 12 01:01:37 MST 2006

Geoff,

Thank you very much for your analysis.
Personally, I had my suspicions about the composite bodies in boxstack
as well. I'll have a look at your code, and run some tests.

  Bram

Geoff Carlton wrote:
> I've had a look at making test_boxstack.cpp use geom offsets, and I
> found a few apparent bugs in the geomTransform part of the test code.  I
> wanted to make sure my math is right, so I'm going to delve into the
> code a little.  My modified version is up at:
>
>   http://www.hotboxgames.com/downloads/test_boxstack.cpp
>
> If I am correct in the reasoning below, we can then take the next step
> of updating the test in SVN.  Now I added a bit of visualisation code to
> draw the body's position (thus its centre of mass), and added an extra
> "create" branch to make a composite offset-geom object, which can be
> seen in the code branch (cmd == 'x' && USE_GEOM_OFFSET).
>
> What I found:
> 1.) The old creation code has a "<2" loop that looks like it should be a
> "<GPB" loop.  I don't think it is deliberate that the last geom doesn't
> get a dGeomSetPosition call.  I changed the old code to use GPB, since
> it seems an obvious bug.
> 2.) Setting up geom offsets is a bit awkward because offsets can only be
> set after the body is attached, and current code attaches the body at
> the end.  So I had to add a "setBody" flag since my code sets the body
> early on.
> 3.) The existing code gets it wrong!  Most obvious when GPB is set to 1,
> but clearly noticible normally.  The geom is offset with dpos[k] and
> Rtx, and so is the mass.  But the dMassRotate rotates dpos[k] by Rtx, so
> the correct geom position is really (dpos[k]*Rtx).  More simply, it can
> be fixed by moving the dMassRotate block above the dMassTranslate
> block.  This means that the mass's offset is really dpos[k].  I left
> this code as is, until we agree that it is in fact wrong.
> 4.) My new code calls dMassRotate above dMassTranslate, so it gets it right.
> 5.) To aid testing, I pushed apart the geoms with a *10 offset distance
> in both old and new code.
>
> When the centre of gravity is wrong the objects have a tendancy to flop
> around, so I think this may be the mysterious force bug that was
> reported.  Assuming the above is correct we can easily fix the
> geomTransform and have both code paths co-existing in the test.
>
> The situation of attaching the body at the end of the function is
> ungainly for the geom offset code, but I don't think this is a
> significant practice elsewhere nor a major problem.  It raises the
> question of whether to allow offsets to be specified independant of a
> body, but in a strange form where they are not used until a body is
> attached.  This behaviour would be strange enough that I don't feel its
> a good approach, and technical reasons prevent us from allowing free
> geoms to have properly working offsets (and offset from what, anyway?).
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff

Bram Stolk, VR Engineer SARA, Amsterdam.   tel +31 20 592 3000

"Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
 operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit
 company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."