[ODE] ODE .NET Bindings Performance Issues, Unsafe code, etc...

Gonçalo Lopes goncaloclopes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 02:30:52 MST 2006

I understand the problem, although I don't think it would be critical
to a good integration of ODE with a managed system. But it would
indeed make it easier to deal with destructions from the managed side.
On my high-level wrapper I started by implementing the Dispose pattern
used in forms to ensure automatic collection, but had to give it up
since there were too many ODE structures implicitly destroying
unmanaged objects. There is never the guarantee that the wrapper
instance owns memory freeing rights over the unmanaged object so I
ended up switching that responsibility to the user.

Maybe in the future the ODE api can be made standard toward these
issues, but for now, I think I'll just go with what 0.7 says and work
from there. The objective is completely wrapping up ODE in a
high-level class hierarchy in a clean and object-oriented way.

P.S.: Maybe I'll have a good surprise for you guys by the end of next week.