[ODE] graphics front end

Funky Fred funkyfredmale at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 12 14:16:18 MST 2006

Hey,
  Just to throw in my two cents: I've piddled around with both ogre and
Irrlicht a bit, and right now I'm kinda fed up with irrlicht and moving to
ogre. The basic reason is ogre seems a to have a cleaner interface (to me!)
and is easier to extend. My view (right now):

Irrlicht:
  - easy to get started
  - easy to setup (just need libIrrlicht)
  - one big integrated graphics/event handling/menu framework

Ogre:
  - more complicated to get going on (more components to get working
together)
    But only took me 1 day though to get the first tutorial up and running
from the source ball,
    without actually doing a make install (I wanted to ensure I could
package it with the rest
    of my source, and not force a user to install ogre). Basically you need
the core libary,
    the platform libary, and the libraries for whatever plugins you use. I
even eskewed Cg
   and got things running (which is highly suggested or something).
- Seems to have a cleaner interface so far
- no integrated event handling framework
- All OOD out - if you like object-oriented & design patterns, etc, this is
the way to go. If not, see above.

Personal preference stuff:
  Ogre requires an decent C++ compiler. It uses the STL. Irrlicht uses it's
own hand-built container classes. For me this was a plus for Ogre. I already
know the STL, I don't want to have to learn somebody elses wonky container
and algorithm code (it always seems wonky when it's somebody elses ;P). But
if you don't like the STL or need to use an older compiler for some reason?
Go for Irrlicht.
  As far as the big integrated package stuff - it makes it easy to get
started with irrlicht, but I kept running into stuff that made it convoluted
to extend the existing functionality. You tend to have to either just use
their objects with their functionality, or build your own from scratch and
massage it in to an existing interface. It's hard to extend the existing
functionality by just overriding a method or something. I dunno how this
goes with Ogre. At this point, it seems like it will be easier to me, but
we'll see ;)

-Stu