[ODE] Soccer Ball Physics

Olex mr.olexander at gmail.com
Wed May 24 16:13:53 MST 2006

It seriously depends on how you want to use physics for your soccer
game. Your game can range from 100% real simulation of ragdolls
kicking the ball to nothing but a simply ball simulation with
collision with players and a few more things on a soccer field.

If all you are looking for is a ball behavior, then no physics engine,
including ODE, will provide you complete set of pre-built behavior for
the soccer ball, which has quite a bit of complexity in its motion:
all those spins and air friction, possibly wet surfaces, etc. are not
ready for use out of the box, though they can be implemented with a
bit of effort and time.

I can't suggest anything without more specific details and what
behavior you are looking to simulate.

On 5/24/06, Gustavo Boni <gustavo.boni at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I'm developing a soccer game with Torque Game Engine, and i'm searching for
> physics system that could be integrated with the engine to realistic
> simulate the ball's behavior.
>  So, i'm posting this thread to ask for you: ODE could offer me a realistic
> soccer ball's behavior?
>  If yes, have you heard about someone wich has integrated ODE with Torque?
>  And, if not, what physics system could give me this?
>
>  Thanks in Advanced
>
>  Gustavo

Oleksandr Lozitskiy

"A really great talent finds its happiness in execution." by Johann
Wolfgang von Goethe