[ODE] Building on MacOSX (and now Linux)

Ryan Gardner ryebrye at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:31:38 MST 2006

It's pretty darn close to just building and running on OS X out of
the box from a clean SVN checkout...

With a little bit of tinkering, I got past my above problem...
although I don't know if it's the best workaround or not. The link
error on the ODE library was easy to get past. I just navigated to
the trunk/ode/src and ran make - then copied the gcc build command it
was using - pasted it in bbedit - changed the gcc to g++ and pasted
it back into the terminal... then it linked fine with g++ (no
undefined symbol error)

The same fix worked for the chaintest1.c file that was giving link
errors.

After getting past both of those minor bumps - the next obstacle I
encounter is in compiling test_basket.cpp:

test_basket.cpp: In function 'void nearCallback(void*, dxGeom*,
dxGeom*)':
test_basket.cpp:86: error: 'isnanf' was not declared in this scope
test_basket.cpp:87: error: 'isnanf' was not declared in this scope
test_basket.cpp:88: error: 'isnanf' was not declared in this scope
test_basket.cpp: In function 'void simLoop(int)':
test_basket.cpp:179: error: 'isnanf' was not declared in this scope
test_basket.cpp:183: error: 'isnanf' was not declared in this scope

I think that isnanf is not implemented on PPC processors - but I may
be wrong.

To avoid the error, I commented out those lines (they were
assertions...)

After that - the entire make process would run fine. (Although If I
made clean and then tried to make - I would have to manually re-link
it with g++ at each of the sticking points, because I didn't edit any
of the makefiles)

The tests don't find the DYlibs if the odelib isn't installed...

To get the tests to run correctly - I did 'sudo make install'...
After that - the tests run and the thing builds correctly.

I'm not playing around with the buggy... Yipee!

Ryan
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never
try'."

Homer Simpson