[ODE] On the meaning of ODE stability (was some quick notes on 0; 6) ...

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 12:31:09 MST 2006

On 6/22/06, Terry L. Triplett <c0d3g33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Which brings me to a point I wanted to present for a while.
> > I think we should standarize the function names so that there is a
> > single library with single and double precision calls, much
> > like OpenGL "f" and "d" suffixes, just throwing the idea into the air
> here.
>
> And what about quad precision and beyond?  As
> technology advances,  notions like precision based on the number of storage
> locations in memory seem quaint.  Pretty soon there will need to be "q" and
> "whatever" suffixes as well.

Sure I guess so, if ODE supports quad-precision. Adding these
OpenGL-style decorations would help abstract the library. I can pass
it data in the form I have it, and ODE can do the right thing under
the hood. This allows you to swap out a single-precision DLL for
double-precision without recompiling your app. This is big win if you
are using a higher-level language (like I am).

I would be willing to work on this, if there are no major objections
(but not right away, I have some other things to take care of first).
Note that this would be in addition to, not a replacement for, the
existing API.

Jason