[ODE] some quick notes on 0.6...

Jason Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 11:17:14 MST 2006

Okay, before anyone gets too worked up, keep in mind that 0.6 has been
downloaded over 3300 (!) times in the past two weeks and this is the
first major criticism we've had to face. That is pretty damn amazing.

Once you get past the rather abrasive presentation, most of the
criticisms are valid. We should extern "C" export_dif.h (probably, I
need to go review the code). The convex and cylinder colliders are not
complete, and that fact should be more visible. The documentation
needs a lot of work. Some form of the heightfield primitives should be
moved into the trunk, for the same reason that we put the cylinders
into the trunk.

The way these criticisms was presented was, well, rude. Consider it a
symptom of success ;)

The most troubling issue to me is the partially implemented colliders.
It is going to be a while before we get them done, and we ought to
come up with a way to let users know what is and is not working. I
guess this would be something like a features list? Does anyone know
of a project that does a good job of handling this in their
documentation? (Hey John, want to write some documentation? ;)

Speaking of documentation, I lost track at the end of the 0.6 push. Is
there anyone focusing on the documentation right now?

> the maintainers need to decide whether they're building
> a highly-experimental R&D project or a practical (if limited) tool.
> Nothing wrong with either, but you can't do both.

Says who?

Keep up the great work guys,

Jason