[ODE] Sphere against moving heightmap

John White aliasbinman at aliasbinman.com
Sun Jan 29 20:19:42 MST 2006

I have a sphere moving and interacting nicely with a heightmap.

However I now want to start moving the heightmap but its giving me
problems. The issue is I do my own CD and create a contact joint to
specify the collision point, normal , depth etc... But there is no way
of specifing the velocity of the heightmap surface so I get problems.
If the heightmap is moving up the ball sinks into the heightmap. If the
heightmap is moving downwards then the ball constatntly jitters on the
surface.

The only way I thought about solving this is to create an extra
temporary geom (say a box) and position and orient it so it creates a
contact with the ball. Then set the velocity of this box and give it a
large mass. This sounds like a kludgy solution. Is there a better way?

I can see this being a common problems for a Mario64 style game where an
object moves around a worls and some of the platforms can move around on
fixed paths.

Thanks

John