[ODE] Trimesh problems

Anders Olofsson anders.olofsson at biologigrand.ac
Mon Jan 9 14:29:43 MST 2006

CFM at 1e-3 makes the sphere sink through the triangles (the plane too, but
they pop up again ofcourse). I had it at 1e-8 to prevent that. 1e-5 works
sort of but the sphere still starts to jump on large triangles. Its
annoying that it works so great on planes and small triangles but not large
triangles.

I tried to turn on autodisable but no change, guess I've too fiddle with
thresholds.

I dont know why large triangles causes problems, I tried an even larger
triangle and the spheres just went through it!.. Feels like some accuracy
problem.

The only solutions I see now is to split up my mesh in smaller triangles (a
large triangle will be splitted up to many) or somehow detect
geoms<->triangles collisions myself and use the plane that the triangle
lies on as a collision geom somehow.

Not so nice either one.

On the upside, just tried boxes instead of spheres, they seems to work fine
on large triangles. (No jumping)

--

I'll search the archive for sphere penetrations. (I assume its about
sphere<->trimeshes, right?!). Someone ought to have notice this problem before.

I'm using the prebuilt ODE 0.5, single with trimesh. I think I'd mess
things up even more if I built it myself from the CVS. Isn't it time to
release a new version soon anyhow? :)

I'm hoping that my other problem is related to this too (spheres making
sharp turns with no reason or something like that).

Thanks for your help!

--Anders Olofsson

------