[ODE] Simple FPS-like character

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Jan 4 10:38:57 MST 2006

> In general, it was suggested to use a capped cylinder to simulate a
> character. This doesn't work well in a generic environment ( made of
> many complex tri-meshes ), with staircases.

Capped cylinder == capsule. It's what most people use, together with a
down-sensing ray for the ground/legs collision. You allow climbing when
the capsule doesn't touch any other geometry, and apply significant
movement drag when it is touching other geometry.

This is such a common way of generating characters that I'm not
surprised there aren't that many questions about it :-)

Cheers,

			/ h+