[ODE] performance problems when bodies lean on each other

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Feb 16 06:56:03 MST 2006

First, you should use the debugger to figure out why you get 180 calls
to nearCallback 15 contacts between two bodies. Are those the only two
bodies, or are there other bodies, too? Are you using trimeshes?
Trimesh:trimesh collisions? (The latter is not well supported)

Second, you could look into using the collide and category bits for
geoms, if you're getting geoms tested against each other that shouldn't
be (say, two stationary trees collide against each other).

Third, you could try turning on auto-disable, which will sleep bodies
that haven't been moving for a little bit; this will make the solver run
faster.

Last, what do you mean by "slow"? In release mode, have you actually
timed the scene? What kind of performance are you getting? And does
dWorldStepFast() help?

Cheers,

			/ h+